Saturday 4 May 2013

A brief spell in Budapest

So I realised it's been a good few days since I published a blog. On Thursday, I went on two walking tours of Krakow, one exploring the old town and the other the Jewish quarters. Really informative and saw the beautiful town of Krakow at its best.

Lots of really nice people actually left that day, which made me feel a little melancholy in the evening. However, the show went on and myself, an American girl and two Brits ventured into the Jewish quarter again for a bar called Propaganda, with Communist decor. It took us roughly an hour and a half to find it, in the pouring rain, and with a stop for a photo of the statue of a dragon which breathed fire at the castle. Unfortunately, I was unprepared and had to wait through 20 minutes and 3 fires to get a good one.

Anyway, Friday came and I spent the morning walking around the town, buying jewellry with my remaining Polish money from a flea market in the cloth hall. I went for lunch in a traditional Polish place and then for a beer with kiwi in it in a really sweet bar with 70s decor and cinema seats for chairs.

That day was National Constitution Day for Poland so the atmosphere was really awesome.

In the early evening, I sat with some fellow hostellers for The Lion King and Shrek before some of the guys decided to convince me I was going to die on the night train to here.

Thankfully, I didn't die and in the end, was put in a cabin with a really nice Australian girl which put my mind at ease for the 10 hour journey. I even managed to get a few hours sleep.

So today, I arrived in Budapest at half 8 in the morning, dumped my luggage at the hostel and immediately went to the baths on the other side of the river. The views here are breath taking and for a small fee, you can visit thermal baths, an indoor and outdoor pool, a steam room and a sauna in an old temple for as long as you please.

Tonight I think I will have an early night as tomorrow I'm off to Zagreb, a 6 hour journey.

To be honest I was sad to say goodbye to Krakow as I loved the town and the hostel but I will definitely be back. I'm finally in a place now though with a bit of sunshine which is nice.

Roll on the next 12 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment